On this podcast, John Horn, CEO at StubGroup, joins us to talk about ways to improve your reporting and execution for digital marketing.
We talk about how to use data insights on how to more effectively track your ads, increase your conversion rates, improve funnel performance, and more.
Where to listen
Listen on Apple Podcasts: Click here
Listen on Google Podcasts: Click here
Listen on Spotify: Click here
Listen on TuneIn: Click here
Listen on Stitcher: Click here
Listen on YouTube: Click here
[00:01:25] Our guest: John Horn
- John Horn, CEO at StubGroup
- StubGroup has partnered with hundreds of clients to solve the complex questions all businesses face in the ever-changing world of digital marketing.
[00:02:10] Where do you start with digital advertising online? How do you structure reporting?
- Understand who your best fit customer is and then build your messaging around that
- Through your advertising, you can bring those people in and then give them something of value to drive conversion
[00:05:30] How do you put technology platforms in place to help track metrics?
- You must have a customer relationship management (CRM) tool to capture customer information and retain it in one central place
- You need something in place to track website analytics, like Google Analytics, to see where the PPC advertising traffic is coming from
- The more you know about the ways that people find you, the better you can invest your time, resources, and ad spend
[00:10:10] What are good platforms for starters and what do you need beyond the basic tech stack?
- HubSpot is an excellent option. They do a great job of connecting the marketing side to the sales side
- Lucky Orange and Hotjar are good heat mapping software to see how and where people are clicking on your website
- Website live chat is an under-utilized sales communication tool. It’s a fairly frictionless way for people to ask questions without having to place a call or fill out a form
[00:13:30] How are teams structured when they're just starting out vs when they are up to speed?
- Usually, it’s the people tasked with sales and marketing. In many cases, teams delighted it to administrative support roles that wear many different hats. This can be difficult to scale but is acceptable if you are just starting.
- Accountability is very important – leads come in, but what’s happening with them after
- Having a process in place is integral to success
[00:19:00] What are some of the challenges that companies run into?
- Analytics and reporting stop to soon. For example, a company will find out the cost per lead and then go no further
- Tracking and reporting for a longer period can demonstrate which channels are performing well and which aren’t
- Not knowing where to start – best practice is to figure out the target audience and then proactively reach out to them
- Look for the lowest hanging fruit and invest time and resources there
[00:24:30] What should B2B companies do to ensure that marketing metrics are front and center?
- Track everything. Collecting as many data points as you can on your digital advertising will ensure you are able to get the information you need later.
- Work backward from metrics to where you need to be on the marketing side of things
[00:31:00] Key take-aways
- Install Google Analytics on your website and figure out how to use it
- Audit and optimize your response time for leads
- Analyze the lifetime value of the customers that are converting in your funnel over time
LinkedIn Profile – John Horn
Website – StubGroup
LinkedIn Profile – Dave Karr
Website – Klyck.io
Website – HubSpot
Website – Lucky Orange
Website – Hotjar